Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Arrival

Flying into the airport at Blantyre was a bit like arriving at a cricket pavilion. The viewing platforms were fully packed with families presumably not all waiting for people to come in but rather enjoying the spectacle.

The heat was the first thing that hit us coming out the plane. We had been warned about the bureaucracy at the airport so were prepared to queue to have our passports stamped.

The road to the hotel was like nothing I had ever seen before. So many people, either just hanging about or sitting outside small business run from huts watching the world go by. People selling ears of corn. I hope to go back there to take pictures, but I just absorbed it all the first time.

I wasn't expecting so many trees, and certainly not so many in colour. Vivid pinks and oranges (some sort of jacaranda I think) bougainvillea.

No comments: